Harry Potter is a world-renowned fantasy series that was first introduced back in 1997 when J.K Rowling first released Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone. There are 7 Harry Potter books in total which have sold more than 500 million copies worldwide, have been translated into over 80 languages, and were subsequently transformed into eight whopping blockbuster movies (the first of which was released in 2002).
But, why has it been so widely successful? Why do adults and children alike love the Harry Potter franchise so much? And who is the top-rated favourite character of all time? In this article, we’ll take a closer look as we dive into the wonderful world of Wizarding…
Why do adults like Harry Potter so much?
So, why do adults like Harry Potter so much? In truth, the main reason why adults like Harry Potter so much is because so many of us grew up with Harry Potter. The first book was released 25 years ago, which means that many adults aged 30 to 40 will have been children themselves when the franchise was first introduced.
25-years later, the franchise is a source of much nostalgia for many adults – myself included.
That said, even adults who are encountering the Harry Potter series for the first time can thoroughly enjoy it. For anyone who has a passion for fantasy, and magic, and relishes using their imagination, it is well certainly worth exploring!
Why do kids like Harry Potter so much?
Children love the Harry Potter series because it is a fantastical and magical coming-of-age adventure filled with suspense and excitement.
As Harry Potter follows Harry and his friends through their life at school, many children can relate to some of their trials and tribulations. Of course, the modern school experience is certainly very different to that of a school for wizards and witches, however, those coming-of-age lessons resonate all the same.
Here’s a list of irrefutable reasons why kids love Harry Potter:
- Magnificent storytelling with a rich and complex world.
- Rich choice of words which are excellent for improving a child’s vocab.
- Ignites young people’s imagination.
- Learn all about essential life lessons such as the importance of friends sticking together; being kind and accepting of others; the fact that people aren’t just good and bad, but often a mixture of both; standing up for what you believe in; family can be thicker than blood; loyalty is valuable; love overcomes evil; the choices we make determine who we are as people.
- Harry Potter stories build empathy – a valuable trait in children.
- The books appeal to both boys and girls with strong character representation.
- There are some fantastic female characters who possess great strength of character and intellect.
Who is the favourite character for adults?
For adults, the most common favourite character is almost always Hagrid. Hagrid is one of the warmest and most charming characters in the entire franchise and for adults who are discovering Harry Potter, this character can be very relatable.
Snape is also a very popular character. In fact, according to the Guardian, he is everyone’s favourite!
Unless an adult grew up as a child with Harry Potter, few rarely do they favour the young characters – who at times can be…well, childish!
Other popular favourites are:
- Nearly Headless Nick
- The Weasley twins
- Molly Weasley
- Minerva McGonagall
- And of course, Sirius Black!
Who is the favourite character for kids?
For children, the most beloved Harry Potter characters of all are often:
- Hermione (Harry Potter handbags are perfect for the young Hermione Granger fans out there!)
- Luna Lovegood
- The Weasley twins
- Sirius Black
- And of course, one of the bravest of them all: Neville Longbottom.
All in all, the Harry Potter franchise is highly successful and very popular with adults and children alike. The books and movies are packed with magic and all manner of weird and wonderful adventures. The character development is excellent and we see many of our beloved characters go through some impressive transformations as the story progresses.
If you are an avid fan of Harry Potter – whether young or old – there is plenty of Harry Potter merchandise out there for you to collect.
Keep that flame alive and never stop using that beautiful imagination of yours!